Saturday, January 28, 2012

Why I Dislike Rachael Ray (not personally)...

Imagine the boots in ladies size 11
and keep the jeans and that's me. 
I'm a Pinterest.com addict now and in addition to finding more home renovation, craft, food, and design ideas than I can possibly implement in a lifetime, I am also faced daily with more linguistic mutilation from Rachael Ray than I can handle. Here's my [completely impersonal - I'm sure she's a lovely, hardworking woman] beef with Rachael Ray. She has coined the terms "Delish" and "Nutrish" (not to mention other irritants such as "Yum-O!" that I am blocking out right now) and because she's famous every wanna-be foodie has begun using those words. These insidious (because have no doubt it is her plan [or that of her very wealthy publicist/manager/advertising team] to suck everyone into using HER words so you buy HER products and watch HER shows etc) have been jammed headlong into the American vernacular.

It seems that many of my friends pin fabulous, decadent, drool-inducing delights from a wide variety of sources and I'd venture to say that 1 in 10 comments in response to their pins includes the word "Delish!". It makes me crazy. I blame Pinterest (sorry P - you know I adore you!) for bringing this abomination of the English language to the forefront of my language-related pet peeves (don't get me started on "there", "they're", and "their"!) as the frequency of food posts and subsequent comments outnumbers any other social networking site that I use.

The words are "Delicious" and "Nutritious". Abbreviating them in this way brings a lazy shame to the English language which has already been bastardized nearly beyond recognition as it is.

Here's the rub... I love playing with words - combining words or jumbling letters amuses me. Why is it okay for me and not for Rach-ish Ray-O? Probably because my silly words aren't intended to build an empire and probably aren't going to become a part of daily conversation for the general public. (I will certainly be happy to eat crow if I happen to build an empire that involves word play.)

[Steps off soap box and stores it for another day.]

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

So many things to say - we LOVE the Eastland Hotel in Portland (and will now have to check out the Architectural Salvage on our next visit), I have been craving brownies since reading your post about cooking those large meals, I absolutely adore the maple sugaring tap hat/coat rack (you could make more and sell them on Etsy), and I am not a fan of Rachel Ray in any way, shape, or form. My sister loves her and I had to endure an entire taping of her show AND THEY NEVER AIRED IT. I wasted 6 hours of my life that day. Evan is less of a fan than I am and makes fun of her "EVOO" label. If he is cooking dinner and needs some olive oil he says in a loud, high-pitched voice, "where's the e-vew, we need e-vew for this meal". It is pretty funny, but wouldn't be if she started doing it.