Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year's Resolutions...


I am not typically one to make New Year's resolutions because I've been famous (infamous really) for forgetting them by Martin Luther King Day. That's not a good track record. Pathetic really. Last year, however, I made a commitment to myself in December that I stuck to and it felt sooooo good that I've resolved to become a bit of a resolutionist. (It's my blog, I can make up words.)

In no particular order, here they are:

1) I will learn to knit this year. I visited a yarn store with a friend and some family members over the New Year's weekend and I realized that my need to have distracted hands while watching TV and my growing desire to be creative are possibly well-suited to knitting.

2) I will take the rest of the weight off that I didn't get to last year. Yep, that was my commitment to myself in December 2010 and without really killing myself, starving, or otherwise despising the process, I lost 50 pounds in 2011. It feels great. I now know what it takes for my body to shed the weight so why wouldn't I? I'll keep going till I'm just "the taller sister" not "the bigger sister". Borrowing clothes from my much more petite older sister has actually been a nice motivation - she's got more clothes that I like. :-)

3) I will learn to shape metal into artful, useful things. I grew up on a dairy farm with a blacksmith shop. It's in my soul and now I just need to learn how to let it out. I wish I could wind back the clock and pay closer attention to Uncle June's hammering and bellowing. The combination of fire, earth, wind and water to shape artful, useful things speaks to me.

4) I will continue on my current path of careerical joyfulness. I know. It's not a word but I like it. The past year has been a nice evolution in the enjoyment of my working life and I plan to continue to build on that.

5) Oh damn... I better finish off last year's project and write up the last few posts from my goal of experiencing 50 new things to do on Cape Cod and the Islands. I did them all, now I just have to finish writing them up!

That'll do for now. I don't want to go too overboard and experience resolution haziness come Valentine's Day.

No comments: