Friday, January 6, 2012

Pulled chicken - the other white meat...

Yesterday my husband excavated a big package of chicken from the freezer with eight breasts in it. I wasn't sure what to do with it so, because my crock pot is still sitting on the counter after the workout it got last week, I decided to toss them in there. I found some chipotle barbecue sauce that has been hanging around for a while and poured it over the breasts covering them well. I set it on low for about four hours and then when the meat was tender, I took the breasts out of the crock to "pull" them. (Pulling them just means separating them with two forks so it's kind of stringy.)

My husband made some baked potatoes, I sauteed up some kale/spinach/something else green I can't recall with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper (mixed veggies for the rest of the family - they don't appreciate the "power greens" like I do) and voila - with very little work, we had a fabulous dinner.

It was the first time my step-son's girlfriend came over for dinner so I decided that steering clear of serving my usual goodies (tofu, avocado mashed into baked potato, sauteed eggplant etc) might be a good idea. She seemed to enjoy the meal so I think she'll be back. :-) (She's a very nice girl, by the way, so coming back is fine with me.)

No comments: