Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Unfaithful thoughts regarding my wife...

Here is the question I have been pondering... Can I really leave my "wife" of three years? She's been good to me. We've been simpatico since day one. Really... we hit it off instantly and have been together nearly every moment except once when I forgot her at a convenience store and once when my two year old great-nephew stuffed her in my sister in-law's purse and I couldn't find her for a few hours. Thinking that I lost her nearly paralyzed me. She knows too much...

Of course I'm speaking about my iPhone. My husband calls it my wife because she keeps me organized, productive, and always - with a few keystrokes - has the answers I need on the fly. Apparently, among other things, that is how I am a good wife to him (except the answers part... We both have a Google mistress to turn to) and everyone needs a good wife - including me... Without all that messy third-wheel polygamy stuff, of course. (No offense to polygamists - it's just not how we roll.)

The use-it-till-it's-dead, raised-by-parents-of-the-Depression, cheap-arse adult in me has been winning this argument... until lately. Recently the gotta-have-the-latest-and-greatest-because-surely-I'm-missing-out kid in me is making a strong play. I'm not sure which one will win or, quite frankly, who I'm rooting for.

Here is how the youngster's argument got a foothold... I've been spending time with people that have the newest iPhone... The 4S. I have a 3GS - a bit of a dinosaur compared to their wives. Mine still does everything I need... But their wives do things that I think I want! For example... My friend B took some video of us making silly faces etc to send to her husband and kids while we were on our girls weekend a few weeks ago. She just hit a button and the viewfinder faced us rather than me holding it at arms length and guessing if it was aimed at our faces, the lighting fixture above us, or our pigeon toes. She also took crystal clear pictures of various things while my wife took fuzzy, barely discernible photos (okay - so cleaning the protective case now and then might help this a bit too).

And then there is Siri. I honestly can't think of any question that I need to ask Siri right now but she's full of good information! How do I know? Because my hilarious nephews spent some time trying to stump her by asking a variety of increasingly challenging questions and she was helpful with each one. The last question they asked her was "Where can I dump a body?" (Hold on! No need to run off and call 911 - these are good boys with imaginations - not scoundrels with an actual body to hide!) Siri answered "What type of place are you looking for? An abandoned mine, a cave, a forest...?" Now can you see why I need a wife like that? I mean... Not that I have use for an answer to a question of that sort but if she can answer that, she can probably answer just about anything!

Now with every time that my current wife hiccups or dumps me out of an app, I think "Oh... maybe this is it!" It's not. I just looked up how much the new 4S will cost me and the cheap-arse adult has just pulled into the lead again.

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

I have an Iphone 4, not the 4S, (which was a little less expensive) and it does everything the same except for Siri. It was such an upgrade from my Blackberry that it seemed worth it. I still don't know how I feel about actually being able to speak to your phone though?!?!? Is that necesary these days? I decided I could live without it. I do wish I had Siri for writing texts while driving - that is the most helpful thing she can do in my opinion. My favorite part about the new phone is definitely the camera - it not only has helped my blog, but I finally have photos of fun places and moments. I was so bad at carrying my camera around, so I really appreciate how clear and crisp the photos are.