Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy VD!

When I was about 14, my oldest sister said that to me - "Happy VD". My hormonally-impaired brain thought it was hilarious and... Apparently the impairment stuck with me as I've said it at least once per year to someone - often her. I doubt she remembers saying it but she made me laugh then and she still does today.

Today's post about Valentine's Day is about finding love in unusual places and being open to its possibilities.

I met the love for my lifetime in nursery school. Yes, nursery school. I was too busy running over his head with a tricycle to recognize that he was my husband-to-be. I was also in nursery school in the days of not rushing your children to grow up too fast. NEVER was I asked the questions that adults ask kids these days before they can even read "Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?" (I think that this kind of suggestive question regarding adult-like relationships is completely inappropriate and shoves kids headlong into roles they aren't ready for - but I digress...).

My husband and I went to school together through 8th grade (minus a few months in first grade for reasons too complicated to explain right now) and then went off to different high schools, college and beyond. He was a (self-described) bit of a pest in grade school. I didn't have patience for the pestiness but I liked him just the same. We spent many, many hours playing together after school as I lived across the street from the school and his dad worked at the school. Living in a rural area left few other options for playmates and despite a few scuffles here and there, we got along nicely. My mother adored him.

As we reached "crush age", he developed an unreciprocated crush on me which lasted through 8th grade. I liked him but not "like that". His hopes were dashed upon the rocks for the final time while we were on our 8th grade class trip to Cape Cod where we stayed in his grandparents' houses for a week. His BFF Steve approached me one last time on A's behalf but there was nothin' doin' on my part. (Ironically Steve grew up to marry A's first cousin.)

We saw each other once when he came to a party at my house in high school and then didn't see each other for decades although I saw pictures and got updates about him, his marriage, and his son.

In 2004 I received a call from my mother. She was breathless and so VERY excited to tell me that she had seen A and his son at the grocery store and he was DIVORCED (and sooo handsome and sweet - she didn't leave that part out.) She quickly gave me his email address and phone number and urged me to contact him.

Knowing Mom would ask if I'd contacted him yet every time we talked, I emailed him later that night - it was a nonchalant "How ya doing?" email. He responded the next day with an articulate, well-written, thoughtful response. "Hmmm" I thought. Rarely had I run into a man that could actually write well or bothered to take the time if he could write well. After exchanging a few emails and then instant messaging for a while, we quickly progressed to talking on the phone for hours on end... Finally we made a plan and he came for a visit. In theory it was a huge risk as he was driving 6 hours to see me. If it was a disaster, it was a long way to get home!

We later both admitted that we each knew there was something wonderful happening between us before he even arrived at my house. And... The moment he walked into my apartment in Stowe, VT on February 6, 2004, I wrapped my arms around him and we've never let go.

So... If you are wondering where you might find love, be assured that even the most unlikely person - The one you would have told everyone you would NEVER end up with - might turn out to surprise you! Be open to it. I'm glad I did as it's been an amazing journey!

No comments: