Saturday, February 4, 2012

Yukon-induced joy...

Who is Yukon? Well, he is a lucky four-legged creature that has been rescued by Beech Brook Farm Equine Rescue in Mystic, CT.

A week or two ago my friend posted on Facebook that she was looking for donations of grain, equipment, or money for this organization. She rarely gets involved with anything half-arsed so my husband and I pitched in a couple of bags of grain. Later when I learned that a local store (Dennis Agway) would donate as many bricks of shavings as she could carry, I offered to bring our truck and haul a load.

So Saturday morning we loaded up two big trucks and headed to Mystic. When we arrived, I instantly was grateful that we hadn't brought a horse trailer as I'd have loaded it with donkeys and ponies with little thought as to where they would live once we got home. My willpower when it comes to animals is low. Very low.

Meg has been there a few times before so she made the rounds greeting her old buddies while I made friends with a couple of old, very sweet and curious donkeys.

Then I saw him. He was majestic. Regal. The king of the donkey pen. His forelock was tufted and his mane was long and flowing. He was Yukon and I loved him instantly. Meg said "I'm pretty sure he's actually a miniature unicorn - just look at him!" and she's right. It explains why I was so captivated by him instantly!

Yukon is actually a miniature Appaloosa horse who had been used as a stud for a few years and later rescued by Beech Brook. I'm not sure what his circumstances were but he is a little guy that commands attention but is also very sweet! He's not too crazy about anyone near his hind quarters (I wouldn't be either if I'd been milked for semen!) but otherwise he's beautiful!

The rescue director brought him out for us to love and showed him off trotting up and down the lane - I just fell for that guy big time!

So... Now I've added another "want" to my Some Day Farm... Yukon.

No comments: