Wednesday, December 11, 2013

O Christmas Tree...

Last night a teenager called my Christmas tree "lame". He's getting coal this year or at least maybe I'll let one of the dogs pee on his mailbox. Hrmpf!

Our tree is NOT lame! It IS artificial and I agree that an artificial tree is less than ideal BUT it makes sense for us. The tree is in the living room and no matter what, it's within ten feet of the wood stove that we heat with so live trees dry up and molt almost instantly regardless of watering. And cleaning up pine needles almost daily from a carpet is not something I've got time for. The other thing is that we are SO busy that even finding time for the two of us to go get a tree together is nearly impossible so on the day we say "It's tree day!" we simply go to the basement and haul it up. Easy peasy. 

I never love how the tree looks when it's bare but after I've plumped the branches and then we've loaded on the ornaments, I LOVE it!

And so do the dogs...


We do have one rule about the tree... If someone is home, the lights are on at all times! It's just too beautiful to sit there in the dark and not be enjoyed! And if those lights are on, all of the other Christmas lights should be on too! (I've now added a couple of strands to the banister arrangement and a couple of strands in the kitchen and dining room. I needed a little something to cover up the still-under-construction French door lack of trim in the kitchen.)

This year I went a little nuts with the candle arrangements too. The other night we had "festive nights", "balsam fir", "gingerbread", and "candy cane" scented candles all burning at the same time  it was like walking through scent zones! 

No comments: