Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dashed Entrepreneur...

Today I stopped at a miniature craft fair being held in the lower level of our new dog food store. I regretted entering immediately. There were only six vendors in the tiny space and three customers including me. The first table was "staffed" by a ~10 year old boy selling homemade body scrubs. If there's anything I don't need right now, it's body scrubs but I wanted to give the young fella a chance to tell me what he made. He did a great job explaining the products and what they are best used for including Epsom salt in one that is good for arthritis. 

I was beginning to consider buying something just to support his efforts... But then his mother stepped in and ruined the sale. She was SO pushy and played the "he's trying to raise money for school trip to Quebec..." line and when I was giving the clear signs of walking away she wouldn't stop... She absolutely lost me for her kid. My $8 wasn't going to make or break his trip anyway but I just couldn't give in to her hounding! 

She had her own booth with photographs next to his and immediately  started grinding me on her stuff too. I moved quickly on to the quiet lady in the corner selling baby items (which I clearly don't need!) so I moved quickly on to the next and as quickly as possible out the door. That over-solicitous woman ruined it for ALL of the vendors with me because the space was so small I couldn't get away from her! I cannot stand when people put the hard sell on you when it's clear you are not interested in making a purchase and are just being polite. 

Part of me wanted to slip back in there and tell the kid "You are doing a great job! Here's $5 just for you but you should know that your mom lost you my sale." But... It was not to be. 

So as to not end this post sounding like a total grinch... I then left the mini event and met a friend for a lovely 1.5 hour walk in the woods! It was 57* out which made me feel NOT Christmassy but a lovely walk was a great way to spend part of the afternoon! Then I came home and cleaned out the basement... not because I was particularly driven to do but because I gave in to the Christmas cookies at my third Christmas party... and beyond... and I badly need to get reacquainted with my Pilates machine which was buried under a pile of debris! No more excuses now! 

No comments: