Sunday, December 15, 2013

Getting crafty...

This year I have been in the Christmas spirit for months which has given me time to plan out craft projects BEFORE it's too late - a major personal victory!

I've been getting crafty for gifts... But not good about photographing them before I wrap them. I'll need to work on that!

For my first craft, I wanted to make gifts with coconut oil. I'm a HUGE proponent of coconut oil for it's many many uses! People comment on my skin frequently and I'm quite certain it's in as good condition as it is (not to sound vain) because I use coconut oil every day. (And no harsh cleansers or makeup ever.)

So for my first use of my new Kitchen Aid mixer (which I got for only $166 after rebates, cash back and discounts!) I mixed up some coconut oil body scrubs. I used simple ingredients and the process was so easy! So easy I'll be making more this afternoon! 

One batch contained:
Coconut oil
Coconut sugar
Sea salt
Olive oil
Vanilla extract

The other batch contained:
Coconut oil
Coconut sugar
Lemon essential oil
Lime essential oil

Both are delectable! (I had to use up what wouldn't fit in the jars... 😃) They smell good enough to eat! A thought I smelled a bit like a cookie after I used the first recipe. Yum!



Then I made tags for the items that look like this on each side:


Next I moved on to a project I'd seen on Pinterest. For less than $5, I made this:


It's one vanilla candle, two dozen cinnamon sticks (which I found at Christmas Tree Shop for $1/bag of about 30 sticks and bought several bags in October when I saw them. Yes, I'm pretty pleased that I actually followed through with the project!), the rubber band that comes on the asparagus (to hold the sticks tight against the candle under the ribbon), some wreathing wire left over from unpacking our Christmas tree, some bells strung on the wire, and a piece of ribbon. Oh... And some Gorilla glue (which I don't recommend getting in your mouth or it sticks to your teeth and tongue... Don't ask. Luckily my teenage step-son taught me what to do in the event of that emergency so I was prepared when reason left me momentarily and I tried to recap the glue by holding the cap in my teeth... Duh.)

Anyway... My Christmas spirit is still is full swing and my house is feeling cozy and bright (inside... Outside looks a bit grinchy except for the traditional hubcap wreath made by my mother. (What?!? Not everyone has a hubcap wreath?) We just can't seem to get a good day of weather when we are both home to put up lights. It might not happen this year but that's okay. 

No comments: