Sunday, December 22, 2013

More Christmas cookie fun...

Today we BOTH had the day off AND A didn't have homework AND we had NO commitments. It's a Christmas miracle, really. 

So... Last night on our way home from a lovely Celtic Christmas concert we tried to think of something to do. We were bone dry on new ideas that didn't require a multi-hour drive or boat loads of money. So A set about late last night looking for something to do...

We started the day with a trek down to Truro to the old Air Force base. It's abandoned and now part of the  National Seashore... but it doesn't feel like anyone has been there for decades. It was actually pretty creepy as it was almost 60 degrees, windy and very foggy and all of the buildings look haunted or at least like critters have taken up residence. They are crumbling with broken windows and asbestos warnings everywhere. You couldn't have dragged me in one if there was a pot of gold waiting for me inside. Okay... Maybe for a pot of gold but I'd have been wearing a hazmat suit and carrying a big stick!

Unfortunately because it was so fogged in, we couldn't see the tower that A wanted to see so we walked the dogs for about 45 minutes through the grounds and then hit the road to Provincetown. We originally thought maybe we would have lunch down there but after a trip down Commercial St, we didn't see much open that interested us so we headed back up the road toward home. 

On the way home I talked A into making cookies for our neighbors when we got home. He'd missed out on the "Treats for Troops" cookie-making so he was easy to convince. 

We spent the afternoon making sugar cookies and decorating them. Here are a few of my favorites!











I mixed the royal icing a little too thin in order to get it into my decorating squeeze bottles so it did some interesting things when mixing together. After a while I started playing with the mixtures and I like how they came out. I love the non-traditionally decorated cookies and the creative ones! Mostly I REALLY enjoy that my husband is up for this type of activity and actually really as fun with it! 











No comments: