Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hanging around with "my kids"... Literally

About two years ago one of my best friends brought some raffle tickets to a girls getaway. She was fundraising for her son's JROTC program. A few months later she called and told me that not only had I won... I won the grand prize! (I also won another prize for a furnace cleaning but... The company is in NH so we gave that one back to give to someone else.)

I hadn't really paid attention to the prizes as I was just buying $5 of raffle tickets to support Joe. Suz had to remind me what the grand prize was... It turns out that I won two tickets on the canopy tour (zip line) at Bretton Woods Resort. Yay!

Unfortunately I couldn't use it last year due to my hip surgery and thankfully, BWR extended the expiration date. But THIS was the year I was going to do it and THIS was the weekend to do it!

After trying to con A into joining me... I had to branch out a bit. Eventually my friend Suzi's teenagers said they both wanted to go so I sprang for an extra ticket and off we went!

Ant is 12 and Juls is 15. I love them. I've not-so-secretly been trying to adopt them for years. They were once "our kids" on a camping trip so I tell them that they ARE ours but we are still working on the custody arrangements. 

Anyway... They are the kind of kids that just dive right in to whatever situation they are presented with and they usually do it while cracking me up! 

We arrived at 9am in 47* weather with a heavy fog covering the basin of Bretton Woods. Thankfully by the time we'd gotten rigged up and were halfway up the chairlift, we had risen above the fog and found some sunshine. It was gorgeous!



From the top of the chairlift we hiked about ten minutes to the little training zip line where you learn how to slow down, put on the brakes, and haul yourself to the end of the zip line if you stop too soon. Then we were off!

Ahead of us were nine zip lines, two rope bridges, and three rappelling stations. (Just after the first zip line is when Juls announced she had to pee... Which is impossible in a full body harness 50+ feet above the ground on a platform with seven other people. She just had to hold it...)




We spent about 2.5 hours zipping, crossing the bridges, and rappelling - the kids were amazing! They didn't panic at all and (despite really needing to pee!) they had a great time! We ALL did!


And it didn't hurt that we had multiple GORGEOUS views of the Mt. Washington Hotel and the Mt. Washington Observatory!


So... Would I do it again? Absolutely!

The funny thing is that the other family we were with told me that my "daughter" had beautiful eyes and my "son" looks just like me. Ha ha! Later when we went to lunch the person there also thought they were my kids. Apparently they really ARE meant to be my kids... Too bad they wouldn't fit in the car on the way home!




No comments: