Monday, January 19, 2015

Theme parties. Ugh!

I don't have the deepest, girliest, most creative closet nor the flashiest sense of style so when the poll went out at work asking which of the following themes for our post-holiday party we would like, I'll bet you can guess which one I voted for...

A) The Great Gatsby
B) Wild, Wild West
C) Old Hollywood

Yeah. You probably guessed it. I voted for B - Wild, Wild West. I can walk into my closet right now and pull out everything I need this side of a pearl-buttoned shirt! I've got the boots.  The hat. The denim jacket. The kerchief. I can chick it up or dude it down or go outlaw with it. Heck, I've even got holsters and sidearms!

What I do NOT have is ANYthing remotely "Gatsby". Nothing. Not a stitch of my clothing can even come close to passing for that era. So... I'm left with three options...

1) Be totally lame and just wear my office attire since the party starts at 4pm on Thursday. 
2) Be pseudo-lame and swing into Party City and buy a cheesy flapper headpiece that, according to their website, they sell for $6. 
3) Go for it and swing into the costume store across the bridge as I head up to NH tomorrow because their website says they rent "flapper wear". 

Unfortunately I haven't made a decision as to which option I'll choose... 

In an odd turn of events, A has the PERFECT thing to wear. His tuxedo. Yes, my husband OWNS a tuxedo. He wears it for his Masonic Lodge events (required attire) and it was easier and less expensive to just buy it. So. There's that. He will look dapper. Uuuuuuuuugh!

So, as usual, it's the night before I have to leave and live out of a hotel for the next six days and I don't have a costume. I also haven't wrapped my head around how to pack in general for all of the varied aspects of this particular trip as I'm tagging on a weekend with my girlfriend for the last two days of it. Who KNOWS what I'll need for that!

Office attire (stresses me out every time because I have exponentially more pairs of 'work pajamas' than I do office-appropriate clothes).
Workout gear (I WILL use the hotel gym or go for a walk!)
Gatsby costume (did I say "ugh!" about this yet?!?!)
Casual clothes
Don't even get me started on the shoes AND the temperature swing that it appears I'll be dealing with throughout the week. UGH!!!

That's it... I've just realized that I'm going to need to rent a uhaul for this trip. 

Sigh!

Maybe I'll pretend I missed the memo and go as an outlaw anyway! Brilliant!

No comments: