Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Slightly improved attitude toward my theme party...

I arrived in NH and had some time to kill so I found Party City and purchased two blingy 20's era head bands (one for my friend), some looooong strands of "pearls", and a white feather boa. What the heck! Might as well go for it! I did also find a "one size fits most" flapper dress but I pulled that thing out of the package and held it up to me. Apparently the "most" people that dress might fit must be 5'zip" and 82lbs or less with sand in their pockets. At 5'9" (weight never published but it's more than 82lbs, I assure you!), I was not and never will be in the "most" category. I'm pretty sure I could've worn that "dress" as a blouse with some jeans! I sure as heck couldn't/wouldn't leave my house in it without SOMEthing covering the lower half of my body as the fringe hung to about my underpant line... And not the lower one!

I was considering "going big!" and had called the costume rental shop to inquire about rentals (which supposedly come in "varied sizes") and it turns out that those things cost anywhere from $50 to $135 to rent! Yikes! No way THAT was happening!

So after my successful procurement at Party City (a rather oooooverwhelming experience if you ask me. I mean... If you want to see where a significant portion of the world's toxic plastic crap is sold, swing on down to ANY party store!), I had 20 minutes to kill before a student call so I popped into the Dressbarn across the road. Lo and behold... I found a party dress with a poofy/flippy skirt with sparkly Art Deco shapes on it. I figure with my other items, it's as convincing as I'm gonna get! The best part is that it was marked down by 60% and I can see myself wearing it to an evening event another time. Perfecto!

So my mood is improving about the party which is a reallllly good thing since A is using both of his days off to come up for it! Aiding in the mood improvement is that I also got some intel from one of my team members who works in the office and has been polling people about if they are going to dress up or not - so far it's about evenly split between "probably not" and "yes but not a big deal". Only one guy from the tech team (who, I might suggestively add for your consideration, sent out the poll to begin with!) is going "full Gatsby" and, according to my office spy, is "kind of giddy about it". I think I just discovered why my Wild Wild West dreams got squashed. Friggin' tech guys have so much power! Grrrr! (Just kidding!)

IF we get a decent picture of our costumes, I'll try to include it in my next post. Fair warning... It's freezing here and this pseudo-flapper WILL be wearing leggings and a sweater!

No comments: