Sunday, September 14, 2014

Lost (and found) art...

Recently I've been staying at my sister's house helping her after a bad accident at the end of August. I haven't stayed here since her boys were really little and I used to babysit them all the time while she worked at the ski area or plowed snow. The oldest is now 24 and the youngest is 19. Time flies!

The other night I went in to "tuck in" the big boy (him living at home at this age isn't weird. He's got plans. :-)) and as I was scanning his room as we chatted, I noticed a shirt he had hung up on the wall. I said "Oh! You kept your shirt!" And he said "Yeah, I found it when I was going through some stuff and I put it up. I don't know who made it though." It's funny... I just assumed he would know that it was me! I spent the most time with him as a little kid aside from his parents and the day I moved away, I cried my eyes out because I was going to miss the boys so much and miss seeing them growing up. So as any good aunt would do, I smacked him on the rump and said "It was ME doofus!" And we laughed. 

Even though he didn't remember who made it, I love that he still has it and treasured it enough to hang it up!

His parents run a ski area where he has worked since he was about 12...

And from the first moment he could walk and talk, he was OBSESSED with two things... Heavy machinery ("ack-a-baiters" aka excavators, "a-go-tahs" aka tractors, and "goomers" aka groomers) and dinosaurs. I felt I had a better chance of drawing the latter than the former as Mr Details would have explained to me the proper positioning of the smoke stack/cab position/track rotation etc) on a 1990 Pisten Bully snow groomer... (Yes, his college internship was with Pisten Bully... He was "groomed" (haha!) for that job from birth! :-)

He loved this shirt and wore it all the time! I think it's funny that 20 years later. I'm back in the shirt making "business" for someone else I love... My father in-law. More to come on that...

No comments: