Thursday, July 4, 2013

People baffle me...

Every year, for one reason or another, we host a party at our house. Halloween party with costumes and homemade pizza one year, graduation party for my step-son another year, patio-warming party this year- there's always a reason to get together. Each year, in addition to the few friends we have on the Cape and A's family, we invite all of our neighbors and many of them usually come. 

However, we've lived here for almost six years and have been invited to one party (though "Go tell your parents to come over" during the the party hardly counts as a warm and fuzzy invitation in my book) and one plant swap luncheon our first summer. That's it. We get along with everyone. We stay out of the neighborhood drama. We haven't taken sides in some of the ugliness that has taken place between neighbors. We have some nice one-to-one relationships with various neighbors... But apparently we just aren't invitation-worthy. I don't get it. 

Making friends as an adult is hard enough for me - my closest friends are the people that I've known since college and before - so... Here it is another holiday with A working and me hanging around at home alone with the dogs and neighbors having gatherings. I really don't get it!

No comments: