Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hearing the call...

I envy people that have known what they wanted to do for a career since they were young. A is one of those people. He figured out early that being a police officer would be an enjoyable, fulfilling career for him... And he was right. 20+ years later and he still loves what he does. 

I've never been that type of person. My interests vary too much and my attention span seems to be about two years long for each job I've ever had. The ones I've done longer than that have been because the job was varied and constantly presenting new challenges. That is important to me!

I am 43 years old and I've finally heard what I'm pretty sure is my calling - counseling. I have always really enjoyed that part of all of the jobs that I've had - whether it was on a ropes course, in a dorm, on the trail, with youth, with seniors, with families, or with employees - the consistent part of my jobs that has always brought me deep satisfaction is mentoring/guiding/counseling/advising. And I'm told that I'm good at it.

An area of interest that has been developing for me for the past few years has been in veterans services. I believe that is the direction that I would like to go as it will afford me the opportunity to work with men, women, and families of all ages. The transition from being on active duty in a war zone to civilian life is debilitating for many soldiers. I'd like to help with that. 

So, I am on the brink of applying for graduate school. If I get in to Boston University (my mother's alma mater, no less) it could take me about 2.5 years to get my license. It's a late start but I think it's a degree that I can parlay into a variety of interesting things!

Ready. Set. Go!

No comments: