Thursday, May 30, 2013

I like to ride my bicycle. I like to ride my bike!

When I was a kid, whenever we rode our bikes on Cape Cod or in Maine, my dad would sing the Queen song (with modifications) "I like to ride my tricycle. I like to ride my trike. I like to ride my tricycle anywhere I like." I had no idea how cutting edge his musical repertoire was at the time...

A few days ago my new super health-conscious doctor (unlike our old primary care physician who a) Tried to throw antibiotics at everything and b) was more interested in serving his meth clinic clients than actually proactively discussing our health with us) told me that he wanted me to get more aerobic exercise (which has been a challenge due to the ole hip injury). I said "I've been thinking about getting a bike." And he said "Do it!" And as I was going over my paperwork on the way out, I saw that in the prescription notes he had written: "Get a bike!" How can you argue with with that?

So today I managed to get into the bike shop and after waiting around for "the guy" for quite a while, I figured out quickly why he's "the guy"... He knows his stuff and he knows his inventory. He listened to my quick (vague) self-description: "I'm not a mountain biker but I'll never be a road cyclist. I'm tall and hate to hunch over. I don't want my butt to hurt." He asked if I wanted new or used and I said I wanted the right bike at the right price. Somehow with all of that... ahem... clarity... He said "I've got the right bike for you." 

Off he went to the nearby warehouse and back he came with the perfect bike for me! It's a hybrid bike that I can ride on the road and on trails (not crazy mountain trails...). It's a big enough frame that I don't have to hunch over. He took the wedgie-maker seat off and put on a squishy seat.  It's got 21 speeds so I can push it hard or not. And it's used and under the budget I had in mind! After a ten minute test ride (where I even dropped the chain by stupidly cross-shifting but was able to fix it quickly) I was sold!

So... Tomorrow we will go pick it up and after A dusts off his bike and we pick up a couple of new helmets, tomorrow afternoon we will go for a ride. I can't wait!

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

Take a picture!!!!