Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Half-assed Gardener...

My mom is the real gardener in the family followed closely by two of my sisters. I've faked it for years - some years I'm more convincing than others but the reality is that I'm dependent on the plastic inserts, the Internet, or the dozens of gardening books on my shelf in order to potentially keep things alive. 

When we moved into this house, the gardens were pretty established and I did my best to maintain them. With everything else going on in life, they got more than a little unruly at times and one of them became infested with a weed that was SO invasive that after trying EVERYTHING I could find (vinegar, vinegar/salt/dish soap, weeding, black cloth, newspaper, digging below the roots etc) I finally had to resort to the one thing I absolutely HATE... Round-up. I had to though. It had gone from one little garden three years ago to taking over that entire garden plus two more large beds and the entire compost pile (I didn't spray the compost pile with Round-up). None of the local "real gardeners" know what it is or where it came from so I was on my own. 

I digress. 

This year is different. The large projects that have been distracting me for the past few years are done. I feel hopeful about the completion of our back yard. I'm ready to be a gardener again!

I am of the mind that if something doesn't appeal to you and it's in the way, pull it out. You can try to relocate it if there is a better place but anything in the wrong place needs to go. I put this philosophy into action two years ago when I (gasp!) cut down the wisteria that covered the pergola on the back side of the living room. When it bloomed, it was gorgeous but most of the year it was a dark shadow in the living room and often wound its tendrils under the shingles on the roof. It had to go so I cut it back to the massive roots. It still comes up but I cut it back. I'm hoping to build a bower somewhere and relocate the new growth to the bower where shade and shingles aren't an issue. 

I also have been studying about plants that are good for repelling mosquitoes and ants. I have planted several of these plants in a new large perennial bed next to the patio. I have
also begun playing with container gardening and have thyme, basil, lemon grass, lemon balm, and lavender in containers that I can move around the patio for the best sun exposure. I may even add a pepper plant or two to some containers to see how I fare with that method. My goal for the summer/fall/winter is to build a vertical herb garden on the new fence that gets plenty of sun, is pleasing to look at, and doesn't take up a lot of ground space. 

Maybe next year I will get back to full-on veggie gardening but for now, I've figured out how to adjust my sights and not be overwhelmed and feel like I HAVE to be in the garden. 

I'm finally having fun with gardening again!

By the way... Except for two hanging baskets, my entire $100 budget for new plants has been spent on perennials. I buy them from local gardeners thinning their gardens or wait till they go on sale at my local greenhouse. I just can't understand spending hundreds of dollars on annuals!

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

Loving this post and loving your patio! I read the patio post the other day, but didn't have time to write anything. I am VERY impressed. When you are all set with your yard, you should come down to Jersey and help us with ours! I did some major thinning this past weekend on some shrubs that had become trees. It hurt at first, but it looks so much better and now the plants have room to breathe. I also try and channel my inner trail builder when I am outside doing yard work. Haven't really found the chance to build any trails in the last few years...
Great job on the yard and patio! I love hearing your stories. xo