Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish and hungry...

A and I are back on track with our eating plan which is pretty much a low carb way of eating. And with every holiday that comes around, the challenge is to find food to celebrate the holiday but stay on track without feeling like we are missing out on something. It turns out that St. Patrick's Day is pretty easy on the eating plan if you think ahead. 

This year I decided to make homemade hash and roasted cabbage medallions topped with an over easy egg. (I wasn't patient enough to wait for the poached egg that I had originally planned but the over easy egg did just fine!)

The homemade hash sounds complex but I have to say, it was easy AND I like it waaaaaay better than the corned beef hash from a can (which reminds me of canned dog food...BLECH!)!

First I put the corned beef into the crock pot, and because I waited until too late in the day I poured boiling water over it to give it a boosted start, and set the crock pot on high for a few hours. 

Then I diced up some cauliflower and onion, mixed in olive oil, sea salt and pepper and roasted it until it was just turning brown. (This smells so delicious, good luck not eating it before it makes it into the hash! Truth be told, I ate some with my lunch and had to make more to supplement what was left for the recipe. Those are the hazards of working from home!) 

When the corned beef was cooked through (still pretty tough though), I trimmed all of the fat off and then cubed the beef into small chunks. 

In a heated cast iron skillet, I tossed the corned beef and the cauliflower mixture into the heated skillet with a little vegetable oil and heated it through letting it brown a bit. 

Meanwhile, at 400 degrees I roasted the medallions of green cabbage which were brushed with olive oil with a little sea salt and black pepper. I goofed on the timing and wish I had had time to roast it longer so it could brown up a bit but actually, the softness of the cabbage was quite tasty!

The combination of all of the flavors and textures was amazing and we both pushed back from the table soooo full and satisfied!

No comments: