Thursday, August 15, 2013

Shopping...

I'm not that into shopping for clothes. It's not just about things not fitting but it's about gathering items you like, going into a dressing room, undressing, trying on things that may/may not fit, putting clothes back on, going back out to find different sizes or styles, coming back in and taking clothes off... And so on. It's just an irritation that I can tolerate for about two cycles before I quit. 

I also typically don't like to clothes shop with other people. If I try on clothes (which, with my smaller body I now need to do as my size estimator is way off and in my head, I'm still bigger than I really am) or if I can't find what I'm looking for and want to go to another store, I feel like I'm holding up my shopping partner. I really don't like feeling like I'm inconveniencing other people. 

A is a REALLY good sport and if I'm in the market for something specific (wedding outfit etc) he is great about coming along and giving me feedback. Last year when I needed a last-minute pair of jeans he came to Macy's with me and sat in the dressing room while I tried on jeans. We didn't think anything of it as it said "fitting rooms", not "ladies fitting rooms" but when we came out some lady bit into him ad chewed him up and down about how she wasn't comfortable having a man in the women's dressing room. My matter-of-fact husband simply said "Show me where it says 'women's'"and when she stumbly bumbled he smiled at her and said "Have a nice day" and walked away. (I was a distance away laughing. I'm probably a bad person... Oh well.)

So... Short of 6'2" A sneaking into every dressing room with me, I've come up with the perfect shopping partner scenario... And it involves the camera on my phone. 

I leave my loved ones to do their own things while I go through the drudgery of trying on clothes. When I find an outfit that I think might work, I take a photo in the mirror and text it to them. "Them" is really either A or my dear friend 300 miles away in Maine. I usually get immediate feedback and nobody is sitting in the waiting area/hot car/hiding under a cloak in the women's-only fitting room. They can go about their daily business and I can get shopping done with a second opinion. Yay!

No comments: