Friday, June 14, 2013

Getting healthy...

I recently developed a weird twitch in my left thumb when I inhaled. After 2-3 days of not going away, I went to see our new doctor. He quickly ruled out ALS, Parkinson's, and MS (phew!) and said he thought I might have a pinched nerve in my neck. 

Since I go to a chiropractor's office every week for our weigh in, I decided to ask him about it and he recommended coming in for a thorough consultation. 

We went this morning and because it was on the heels of our weigh in, A was with me. He and the chiropractor are now buddies (lots and lots of gun talk) so he sat in the room while I had my appointment. I'm pretty sure that after seeing me twisted up like a pretzel and hearing my neck pop like fireworks, he won't be signing up to get on Dr. Brian's table any time soon!

During the assessment, Dr. B looked at a variety of things including tenderness, flexibility, weight distribution etc. At one point he had me "try to" touch my toes and I bent right over and touched them without a problem. He was surprised at my flexibility and I said "It's the yoga." He said, "Oh good! Do you do it regularly?" I said, "No." Paused for a few seconds and then added, "But I think about yoga a lot." 

We all busted out laughing hysterically and it took a few minutes to get it back together. I knew what I meant but hadn't said however the way it came out was too funny to try and re-write. 

Once we regained our composure, he confirmed that I DO have some compression in my spine, tilted pelvis (thank you hip surgery etc) and a vertebrae in my neck that is pretty far out of alignment. That explains a LOT! I'm hoping that my series of adjustments over the next few weeks will not only alleviate the weird thumb tremble but also put an end to what seems like a lifetime of headaches. I think A was relieved to hear about the alignment issue because he worries about my nearly daily complaints of headaches ranging from mild to raging. (Stress is always to root of the really bad ones.)

So... My mind is pretty healthy (except for the terminally bad sense of humor) and now my body is catching up! I'm hoping that some good spine health (think about what the spinal column does to literally support every organ, muscle, limb etc of our body), weight loss, and increased aerobic activity will stave off that danged impending hip surgery... But we will see how that goes. 

No comments: