Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm an Olympics junkie

Since returning from our rustic vacation in the 'Dacks, I can't seem to turn the Olympics off. When I realized that we would be missing the entire first week of the Olympics, I frantically set the DVR to record the opening ceremonies... and then stopped selecting programs to record because none of the events were listed on the menu and I didn't want to come home to 142 hours of weightlifting and wrestling (no offense to fans or athletes in these events - they just don't appeal to me).

As soon as we got home from our non-tech week, we turned the TV on to the Olympics channel and it has pretty much been locked there (in high definition, of course) since then. I haven't really found anything that I didn't want to watch or at least listen to while doing other things - equestrian events, soccer, swimming, diving, volleyball of all varieties, tennis, basketball (which I can't change the channel fast enough if it's NBA teams playing), gymnastics, track and field - men, women, mixed, - doesn't matter - I've seen it all. Well... I've at least listened to a smattering of each of those events and more. I can't get enough.

Just the thought of intentionally pointing my skis
down this makes my toes curl.
Having just been in Lake Placid, NY and visiting the high jumping facilities really got my Olympics fever fired up. I just love it!

Recently I ran into the parent of a fellow swim team member from my childhood and he said "Of course I remember you, you were always an amazing athlete! Your swimming was tremendous." I blushed, of course, but realize that I LOVED swimming and wonder if I had stuck with it, would I have ever had a chance at making the Olympic team? I don't know.

I've had enough of the crap TV that clutters the channels and makes me a little dumber every time I watch it. I want something as uplifting and inspiring as the Olympics to air more frequently than the greedy, thoughtless, self-serving reality shows that jam up the air waves and capture me like I'm watching a train wreck.

Given the choice, I'd shut the cable off completely. That's how we lived in VT and it was just fine by me. In fact, it was better because we got more done on our house. Maybe if I accidentally shut off our cable we'd finish our patio and get the back yard done in short order. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments: