Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Garden delights

*See below
Well... they're not from MY garden but I do find them delightful. I gave up on my garden this year. With the patio, the surgery, the graduation, traveling etc going on, it was just too much to commit to a veggie garden this year.

But... I love fresh veggies so I've been enjoying the fruits of other people's gardens. Twice this week I've made a refreshing salad for dinner. I think I could eat it nearly every day of the summer - or at least as long as the tasty tomatoes hold out.

This is a variation on a few different recipes but it's filling, good for me, and satisfying as a meal by itself.

Fresh mozzarella cheese (I use a ball that I cut up into chunks)
Fresh tomatoes (I use whatever looks best at the market regardless of type)
Fresh basil (mmmm)
Fresh cucumber
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing (sometimes I make it, sometimes I use a bottled brand - depends on availability of ingredients)

(Tomorrow I might add some Kalamata olives - mmmm.)

Chunk all of the ingredients up into bite sizes. Decide on the ratio you like best depending on your taste buds or availability. Mix them in a bowl and add the dressing. If possible, cover it and chill it for an hour or more. It's absolutely BEST when it's chilled and you eat it in your underwear in front of a fan. (Be sure to close the shades...)

*I am back to my diet (too long of sitting around after surgery) and am starving by the time I sit down to eat... therefore there are no pictures of food that I've actually prepared. By the time I think of it, it's long past the time when a photo would be appropriate. I'll try harder to take a picture before I start eating - but don't hold your breath. The photo above is as close to the recipe I mentioned as Google could rustle up for me... except that it's missing the cucumber and olives.




2 comments:

K. Dempsey said...

You make your own balsamic? How? Inquiring minds want to know! xo

Polly G. said...

Oh no no... I'm not that clever. I make my own dressing. :-)