Monday, March 26, 2012

Egg Muffins - no Mc

I recently saw a few different recipes for low calorie egg options for breakfast that interested me but I needed to healthify them so I can't post a specific link. Last night we decided to give the healthified version a try. Unfortunately for my husband, I was on call for work and as soon as we pulled out the ingredients, I got a call and left him to the preparation. Lucky for me, he's completely at ease in the kitchen!

When I returned, he had already assembled the ingredients so I'm not sure of the exact measurements of each item but our safe estimate is that each of these little egg muffins come out to about 115 calories. Perfect for a quick, healthy, filling breakfast!

He used 12 eggs and filled nine large muffin cups with the egg. Then he added some diced orange peppers, chopped (fresh - not frozen) baby spinach, ~1/4 of a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick cut into slices, 1 tsp "Real Crumbled Bacon (Hormel 25 cal/1tbs), pepper, and nutritional yeast.

We baked them at 350* for about 25-30 minutes (we didn't really follow a specific recipe so we just kept checking it and took it out when they were firm).

My husband had them for dinner (I had been given a big bag of fresh fresh fresh sea scallops so, as the only seafood lover in the house, I indulged in those with some fresh asparagus) and he thought they were pretty wonderful! We then had them for breakfast this morning and they were quite tasty! The peppers and bacon gave it such great flavor - even my step-son who doesn't like veggies ate a few for an after school snack.

They end up with the consistency of a quiche without the added calories of a crust - perfect! Sorry - no pictures of ours but this is a picture of a recipe that most closely resembles what they look like. Maybe next time I'll remember to photograph them before they get gobbled or wrinkle up in the refrigerator.

No comments: