Saturday, December 6, 2014

Treats for Troops - Year II

Thursday I made 41 dozen cookies with the help of A and another friend - 25 dozen rolled and cut sugar cookies, 8 dozen Ghirardelli chocolate chip cookies, and 8 dozen dark chocolate peppermint chip cookies. Whew! It was a loooooong day!



It was made challenging by the fact that my first helper had just had minor surgery on her foot that morning and couldn't stay long. The additional issue was that I was using the kitchen at the Mason's Lodge (which isn't entirely well-equipped) and hadn't been able to find crushed peppermint chips, I decided to crush hard candies by hand. It was a LOT harder than I thought! After several failed attempts at crushing them in a variety of ways including bashing them with my rolling pin, A arrived with a cheapo "slap chop"... and succeeded in crushing about 1/4 of what we needed before the cheapo machine disintegrated in his hands. He proceeded to revert to a hammer and played "Candy Crush Live" with shards of candy shooting every where. Sigh. But we got it done!

Today we had about 20 volunteers help decorate the sugar cookies, write cards, and load 25 boxes with cookies, candy, toiletries, and holiday decorations to be shipped out on Monday to deployed troops. 

I was a little overwhelmed by making the 41 dozen cookies and was pretty certain that I wouldn't do this again next year... But the group that came today had such a great time and I know that the service members who receive the packages will be so happy that it made it all totally worth it!


No comments: