Saturday, April 19, 2014

Where Have I Been... Part 98?

Life got crazy. My new job that I started in October was slow(ish) to start compared to what it is now. Thankfully I still REALLY enjoy it but with a shortage of coaches and my (sorry... kind of bragging here) ability to function independently and not require a lot of supervision, I have been assigned more than double the students than the other three coaches that I started with in the fall. Phew! It gets REALLY tricky to support 50+ students in 20 hours per week so I've really been working close to 30 hours per week pretty regularly. This is in addition to my environment corps 20 hour per week job. So... it's been very very very busy since January. And it's about to get even busier!

But, as I said, I'm enjoying it. I am loving working on my own schedule. I am loving working from home (or anywhere there is internet access). I am loving the interactions with the students - especially when they have an "Ah ha!" moment and suddenly whatever barrier they've been struggling with breaks free. It's pretty cool.

So... what else? Oh yeah. I'm training to run a 5K in June in Portland, ME. I've never run in my adult life and I enjoy the training aspect of it. I enjoy the fact that it's getting easier. I still DON'T enjoy what feels like a massive hurdle every time I need to go workout by myself... but I'm getting better at it. Not wanting to suck wind with 30 of my friends also running the race with me is tremendous motivation!

I've made friends with a neighbor (it turns out that we've lived near each other for 6+ years, our kids are friends, and we never knew just how MUCH we have in common!) and it's been great getting out with her and her dog and Brody and Glacier for 4+ mile walks/runs at least three times per week. Having a buddy makes it SO much easier. And A has also jumped in as he prepares to take his department physical training standards test in a few months so I've got multiple workout buddies. And of course Glacier and Brody are ALWAYS willing to go with me regardless of rain, snow, heat, ticks etc. A and I joke that we need to put a mileage tracker on the dogs as they spend the hour that I'm running/walking dashing here and there and they must cover at least twice the ground that I do!

So that's where I've been. Will I have time to write more now? I don't know. I'll try! It's hard to want to be at the computer when I'm done with my work as I spend so many hours in front of it... but I'll try to get some writing in as often as I can.........

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

I blogged about signing up for a race today too! Once winter is over I always try to give myself a few days to get back into the swing of things with running/hiking, but it doesn't happen unless I sign up for a race. The race I am doing isn't until August, but it is 7 miles and since I've been running 0, I think I need the full 3 months to train. Good luck! I know you'll do great! xo