Thursday, May 3, 2012

Countdown to hip surgery...

Despite being only 42 years old, I was recently informed that the constant pain in my right hip is because of a torn labrum (cartilage lining the inside of the hip socket) and a bone spur. Therefore I have to have surgery to repair it and remove the bone spur. The trouble is that I won't know if I'll be just taking it easy for a week or if I'll be on crutches without any walking for a month (depending on the exact location of the bone spur and how it is removed)... until after I come out of surgery. For someone like me, that uncertainty is uncomfortable. I like to plan ahead for things and it's tricky not knowing exactly what I'm planning for with this deal. We've decided to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

With summer coming on fast, we have the usual list of projects that we want to complete PLUS some other big projects that we need to complete. We really dislike doing labor-intensive projects during the heat and hectic schedules the summer months bring and since I might lose a month or more, we have to knock as much off the list as possible before my May 30th surgery. We also have my stepson's high school graduation just ten days after my surgery and we are planning a barbecue at our house... on our new patio. Yeah, no pressure.

Well... it means that we have 26 days to accomplish a boatload of projects. 26 days to tear down the old deck, level the ground, and install a new 600 square foot patio with built-in fire pit. 26 days to build the last new gate that will close in the final section of the back yard once the patio is done. 26 days to re-purpose the wood from the old deck into new steps and landings in front of three exterior doors. 26 days to install the last, longest, and likely most difficult length of fencing (due to tree roots and the neighbor's dogs).  26 days to prepare the food for a graduation party and freeze it. 26 days to clean the house from top to bottom and make it shine like the top of the Chrysler building before I have to hang around watching the dust bunnies multiply and dog fur tumbleweeds plan a coup. 26 days to paint the kitchen. (Yeah... I'm probably alone in thinking that this is a MUST do.)

It's ambitious. Especially because my husband and I just went over the calendar last night and determined that of those 26 days, he and I will be home together only 3.5 days - one of which is Mother's Day and two of which are four days before my surgery. No pressure.

So... that means that everything that we can each do alone must be done at the first moment we are available - no procrastinating. Ugh. I am so glad that I already transplanted ~18 hostas and a couple of lilies... but now I have to head home right now and begin the process of removing all of the stone work that I built around those gardens a few years ago and relocate ~15 large slate pieces. I better get moving!

1 comment:

K. Dempsey said...

I love that with everything you have going on, you still found time to blog and we can hear about your life. I will be thinking about you on May 30th and sending "happy-get well-make the spur be in the place that only requires taking it easy for a week" thoughts. I wish I lived closer. I would love to help you clean. I really do love cleaning. Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me. : )