Thursday, December 22, 2011

Technology update and the paranoia kicks in...


Am I the only one that cringes when I get the notification from iTunes that my iPhone has an update that needs to be uploaded? Several months ago I was having trouble with my wireless printer. I spent 7-8 hours on the phone (this is not an exaggeration) with tech support at HP. I even gave the guy full access to my computer because at first, just the printer wouldn't work... then nothing worked! When we were done, I no longer had my music in my iTunes library but at least my wireless printer was back on line. He said, "I didn't make any changes that would effect that." But I didn't believe him because it worked fine before he started working on my computer. Nonetheless, he bid me farewell and I was on my own to contact iTunes support.

After several attempts to ask the right question of said "support" and not being able to make heads nor tails of the generic email responses that didn't actually have anything to do with my particular issue, I began dabbling around on my backup hard drive and found that my library was still there. When my iPhone went completely blank after an update and I no longer had ANY music on my phone, I got reckless and just started clicking on nearly anything I could find and suddenly... I found it! It had taken me six months but I finally figured out how to get the library back onto my iTunes and then update the library on my iPhone. Once I finally reloaded everything from my back up to my phone, I've religiously backed it up ever since.

However, when the little red numeral appears next to my "Settings" icon on my iPhone, I panic. I refuse to update my phone until I've had the chance to back it up at least three times. I'm completely paranoid that I will lose everything - contacts, music, emails, etc. And when I do finally plug my phone into my computer (usually only about once per month since the lost library incident) I panic and hit "sync" and "transfer purchases" at least three times each before I'll click the buttons to update the software on the phone or iTunes.

Having technology is supposed to make my life easier. And it does. Usually. People are so impressed when I can tell them if I'm free three Thursdays from now because I can consult my pocket brain (or my "wife" as my husband calls it because it keeps me organized). They are thrilled when I can tell them the 10 day forecast or what movies we've seen that actor in before. They are amazed when I can take their picture and email it to them. Or update my blog. Or scan bar codes to find a better deal on a product. That all amazes me too. But what if I lost all of that? Would my life go on or would I crumple in a heap unable to function?

I've put off my updates too long again and now the update that is currently being done on my phone will take 55 more minutes to download and install. And I will fret away every minute of it wondering if my beloved wife will survive. Or... maybe I'll go watch a movie with my husband. He cuddles better than my iPhone.

Good night. :-)

No comments: